Central Winchester SPD
- Client: Winchester City Council
- Location: Friarsgate, Winchester
Working with JTP Architects and involving extensive public engagement we have developed a vision for a pedestrian friendly quarter in central Winchester. This includes:
- a new mixed-use quarter, including retail, market, commercial, cultural, housing and community uses to complement the city centre and serve the whole community
- plans for attractive buildings, streets and places, designed and laid out with a Winchester character and scale – described as “Winchesterness”.
- a range of active and restful spaces in the heart of the city, including the opening up of the brook to the east of the site
- developing a footprint for the way the public realm will be developed across the whole area
- creating a new bus hub and routing buses away from The Broadway and High Street to allow for environmental improvements to accommodate markets and other street based activities.
"This is one of the most extensive consultations we have been involved in. We’ve had significant involvement from a wide range of people and organisations which is a credit to the interest there is in this redevelopment. This is such an important part of the city. "— Marcus Adam, Managing Partner, JTP